Monday, November 16, 2009

A less-stress Thanksgiving

Here are my tips for a Less-Stress Thanksgiving:

1. Prepare all decorations the weekend before.

2. Polish all silverware and glassware a week before the big day. I have stainless steel flatware and I use a little vinegar and water (50/50 mixture) to keep it looking sparkling clean.

3. I purchase my turkey the Saturday before Thanksgiving to make sure I get the perfect size, and also to ensure adequate defrosting.

4. I do my Thanksgiving food shopping at several stores. I try to buy all of the dry goods on Monday before the big day. I do all of my last minute shopping on Wednesday or Tuesday evening. This is when I buy all of my fresh herbs and produce.

5. I scan all of my recipes to see if there are any specialty food items that are not carried at my local stores. For example, the turkey brine calls for Crystallized Ginger which cannot be found at Publix.

6. On Wednesday I purchase fresh flowers and make any arrangements. This year I am going to hollow out a pumpkin to use as a vase for my flower arrangement.

7. The weekend before I do the major house cleaning projects. Make sure to look at your base boards, blinds, look for fingerprints on doors, etc. I also clean out my refrigerate about a week before to remove any out of date items to make room for Thanksgiving food.

8. Iron all tablecloths and napkins in advance. This year I am making my own napkins and napkin rings. Once complete I will post photographs.

9. Plan your seating arrangements. Create place cards if using. I created place cards with fall themed scrapbooking decorations.

10. Decide on all recipes at least a week in advance. Confirm with guests if they will be bringing any specific items. Set the time for guests to arrive.

11. Determine your wine and alcohol needs. I am making a special cranberry and orange sherbert punch to be served before and after the meal. Make sure you have enough wine for all guests.

12. If serving coffee with dessert, ensure you have adequate mugs, 1/2 and 1/2, sugar, coffee, etc. We do espresso/cappuccino and also plain coffee.

13. On Tuesday I choose cooking vessels for each dish I will be preparing to ensure I have everything I need and don't need to purchase anything else prior to the big day. I know this may sound like a bit too much, but I detest scrambling in my cabinets to find a dish.

14. I use my laundry room to store items that are crowding the kitchen. The washing machine/dryer provides a large surface for temporary storage. For Example, my Kitchenaid stand mixer has a permanent home on my counter top (as well as my toaster oven). After I finish using these appliances on the day of I move them to the laundry room for storage.

15. Entertainment: We create a slide show and have it running on the television. We also create a playlist for pre-dinner, dinner, and post-dinner enjoyment.

16. How to gather with multiple families: Mr. Foodie and I host his family for Thanksgiving dinner. Afterwards my family joins us (my Mom cooks for my family) and they all come over for dessert. This way everyone gets to see each other on Thanksgiving. We also get the added bonus of having multiple desserts!

17. Use cute paper Thanksgiving-themed plates and napkins for dessert to reduce the number of dishes.

18. Make - Ahead: I am doing several things ahead of time this year.
- I am making my cranberry sauce on Wednesday. It tastes better the next day...
- I am making my creamed spinach on Wednesday up until the point of baking it in the oven on Thursday.
- Make ahead gravy is easy.

19. Try to use all of your resources. I have one oven and 4 burners. I am trying to use other kitchen appliances to lighten the load. This year I am making the mashed potatoes in the crock pot. This is great for three reasons: 1. No stove top boiling/kitchenaid mixer. 2. Less dirty dishes. 3. Keep them perfectly warm until ready to serve.

20. Create an oven-schedule. Dtermine everything that must go into the oven on the day of, and schedule accordingly. Remember that resting the turkey once you take it out of the oven is essential. Don't be afraid to let is set, covered with foil for at least 30-45 minutes before carving. It allows the juices to re-distribute themselves, and lets you bake the last minute items and make gravy.


I hope you can use at least one of my ideas above to make your Thanksgiving dinner a sucess.

No comments: