Thursday, June 25, 2009

Attempting Low Carb Recipes...


My latest cookbook purchase is an attempt to try low carb cooking. I enjoy some of the low carb culinary principles: Lean Protein and Fish/Shellfish, Vegetables, and even whole grains. I looked around the Internet at different options and settled on "Eating Stella Style" by George Stella.
I have browsed through the entire book and I think there are some great ideas in here. Most of the recipes are east and great for week-night options.
I choose to make the Cream of Asparagus Soup for several reasons:
1. I recently went to Costco and bought Asparagus.
2. Soup is my favorite thing to eat and make
3. It sounded easy
4. It would require using one pot..... you get the picture.
5. OH.... and I get to use the Immersion Blender which is my favorite kitchen tool.
*I should design a hot pink kitchen tool belt with a holster for my immersion blender. If only I were creative and could draw up a design.
Cream of Asparagus Soup - Courtesy of George Stella's "Eating Stella Style"
Ingredients
1 Tbsp Butter or Margarine
8 oz Fresh Asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths. [I used more than this because I wanted to get rid of it all]
1 Tbsp minced red onion
1 garlic clove, minced
2.5 cups chicken broth [I used more to stretch the soup, and because of the amount of asparagus]
1/2 cup heavy cream
Instructions:
1. Heat the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the cut asparagus, onion, garlic and cook while stirring for about 5 minutes.
2. Add broth , raise the heat to high, and continue cooking until reduced by half, about 5 more minutes.
3. Removed from heat. Puree using immersion blender. Add cream to soup and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.

No comments: