Monday, June 29, 2009

Breakfast Bites

Good morning everyone. Below you will find a great breakfast recipe that is sure to please. It is from the "Eating Stella Style" cookbook that I talked about several posts ago. This recipe was super easy and very satisfying. I am eating one right now as I type this post. This recipe may become a Sunday night tradition. There are endless variations: chicken sausage, pork sausage, chorizo (that is what the original recipe calls for), Salsa Verde, cheddar cheese, goat cheese, etc. I followed the variation recipe which substituted premade salsa for chopped onion, garlic, and green pepper. If you do not have salsa, and do have the vegetables you could always saute' them with the sausage.

"Southwestern Breakfast Bites" by George Stella

Ingredients:
8 oz Chorizo (I used Italian Turkey Sausage)
9 Eggs
4 Tbsp Salsa
Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
Salt & Pepper
Non-stick Spray

Equipment:
12 cup Muffin Pan.

Instructions:
1. Preheat Oven to 350. Spray Muffin pan with nonstick spray.
2. Cook sausage in skillet until cooked through. (I used Italian Turkey Sausage - may need to add a teaspoon of oil due to the low fat content.)
3. Mix eggs in bowl with salsa. Add Salt and Pepper. (I also added a little Cayenne Pepper because that is my favorite spice.)
4. Distribute sausage amongst muffin pan. Ladle egg mixture over the sausage. Top with cheese (as much or as little as you would like).
5. Bake 15-20 minutes or until eggs or set.

Enjoy! The Bites are designed for an on-the-go lifestyle. I brought 2 to work for breakfast this morning, wrapped in tin foil.

No comments: