Monday, August 24, 2009

Foodie on a budget

Lately I have been trying to spend less money. One of the biggest parts of our budget is the food, drink, and "going out" category. I am attempting to retain my flair for great food while managing our money better. I have decided to deploy several strategies:
Strategy 1: Use what I already have in my refrigerator and pantry.
I currently have a few frozen meat items in my freezer: Italian Pork Sausage, Flank Steak, and Chicken thighs. I am pledging to use these items before buying any other meat items, except for a special occasion (party). I also have a pantry full of sauces, vegetables, rice, pastas, etc. I definitely need to use these items before buying others (except for BOGOs and other great coupons).
What to do with the Italian Pork Sausage? Simply grilled
What to do with the Flank Steak? I am going to marinate the flank steak using multiple pantry ingredients and broil or grill. I will likely serve with rice and a veggie.
What to do with the Chicken thighs? Giada's Balsamic Roasted Chicken
All three of these dinners require me to purchase approximately 3-5 items. I will report back on my progress.

2 comments:

Wearing Mascara said...

Very good strategy. Have you heard of the website supercook.com? I love it! You plug in the ingredients you already have and they come up with recipes for you. Hope this helps! xoxo

Mrs. Foodie said...

I am going to check out the website today at work. Thanks!