Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Oysters

Oysters are my favorite culinary adventure. I have been eating oysters raw and steamed for a long time. Until a couple of years ago I had only enjoyed Apalachicola (Gulf Oysters). My love of food has opened the door to many new and interesting treats.

As usual, I always get super interested in a topic and then I proceed to read books about the subject. I have since enjoyed two great oyster titles. Books on oysters may seem dull to you, but those I have had the pleasure of reading combine history with science and a dash of personality. Food is something we all have in common. Reading about families who have been in the oyster for centuries entertains me. I wouldn't consider myself an oyster expert, but I have a good knowledge of the different types, growing regions, and the politics involved. Oyster politics? Yes..... I am serious.

Reading List:
A Geography of Oysters by Rowan Jacobsen
Check out his Notebook for interesting Oyster happenings across the U.S., Canada, and Europe.

No comments: